The Church has undergone a series of major renovations since its founding in 1912. The first in 1953 and a subsequent renovation in 1973 served to strip most of the original character of the church. These consisted of removing the reredos, pews, high altar, and a complete eradication of the ornate murals and stenciling adorning the sacred space.
What began as a renovation evolved into a reclamation of the church’s classic character. Researching its history through generations of parishioners’ family photographs revealed its prior grandeur.
We sought to blend the old-world skill of artists and craftsman with the modern innovation of acoustical, mechanical, and lighting engineers to create a design faithful to the past, but with an eye towards the future. The interior walls all received artwork reminiscent of its original 1912 heritage, acoustical plaster was added along with new furnishings and the original terrazzo flooring has been refinished to its original colors. The existing historical lighting was re-lamped to LED and new LED fixtures were added to highlight the space. It is our hope that through our careful design and collaboration we have upheld the integrity of the original architecture while enhancing the sacral atmosphere.